The only distillery on the Isle of Skye, Talisker (from Thalas Gair, sloping rock in Norse) takes its name from the mountain above the village of Talisker.
The distillery however is not in this village at all but several miles away on the western shore of Loch Harport at Carbost. It was founded in 1830 by Hugh and Kenneth MacAskill, and built in 1831 at Carbost after a number of false starts on other sites. Rebuilt first in 1880–87 and extended in 1900. It was rebuilt again in 1960 after a stillhouse fire completely destroyed the distillery. Five exact replicas of the original stills – two wash stills and three spirit stills – were constructed to preserve the original Talisker flavour. All the stills use external worm tubs (condensing coils) cooled by the Cabost Burn rather than a modern condenser. At one early stage the whisky was produced using a triple distilling method, but changed to the more conventional double distilling in 1928. Talisker was acquired by Distillers Company in 1925 and is now part of Diageo which markets the single malt as one of their Classic Malts series.