Glenkinchie Distillery is one of two remaining distilleries in the Lowland region. It lies in a glen close to the village of Pencaitland in the beautiful rolling barley fields of East Lothian, only 30 minutes from the capital city of Edinburgh.
The name ”Kinchie” is believed to be a corruption of de Quincy, the name of the original landowners. Founded around 1825 by brothers John and George Rate, was originally named the Milton distillery, but renamed Glenkinchie about 1837. Most of the production is used in blended whiskies, as a single malt it was little known before 1988 when the owners United Distillers marketed the Glenkinchie 10 year old as one of their original six Classic Malts. In 2007 the current owners Diageo replaced the 10 year old with a 12 year old bottling. Located 15 miles from the capital of Scotland it is also known as The Edinburgh Malt.